ExpiresJanuary 17, 2022
American Medical Association
This module provides guidance regarding identification of a surrogate decision maker for a patient, as well as how to guide the surrogate in the decision making process.
1. This activity is part of the AMA Code of Medical Ethics.
2. This activity is free to AMA members.
ABMS Member Board Approvals by Type
ABMS MOC Part II CME Activity
Allergy and Immunology
Colon and Rectal Surgery
Medical Genetics and Genomics
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Psychiatry and Neurology
NOTE: If a Member Board has not deemed this activity for MOC approval as an accredited CME activity, this activity may count toward an ABMS Member Board’s general CME requirement. Please refer directly to your Member Board’s MOC Part II Lifelong Learning and Self-Assessment Program Requirements.
1. Recognize circumstances when a surrogate is needed
2. Determine approaches for identifying a surrogate
3. Describe surrogate and physician responsibilities in making decisions for patients who lack capacity
End of Life, Ethics, Health Care Policy, Shared Decision Making and Communication
CME Credit Type
AMA PRA Category 1 Credit