ExpiresApril 1, 2020
Oregon Health & Science University School of Medicine
There remains a significant gap between physicians who are DATA-waived to prescribe buprenorphine in Oregon and those who are actively prescribing it. According to a 2004 study in Biological Psychiatry, “Contemporary addiction treatment: A review of systems problems for adults and adolescents,” many of the most common barriers to prescribing buprenorphine need to be addressed on a systems level. For prescribers, these barriers included: “…payment issues, insufficient nursing support, insufficient office support, lack of institutional support, and pharmacy issues. The more common barriers for non-prescribers were insufficient office support, insufficient nursing support, lack of institutional support, insufficient staff knowledge, and low demand. About half of prescribers reported at least one barrier, whereas two-thirds of non-prescribers reported at least one barrier.”
ABMS Member Board Approvals by Type
ABMS MOC Part II CME Activity
NOTE: If a Member Board has not deemed this activity for MOC approval as an accredited CME activity, this activity may count toward an ABMS Member Board’s general CME requirement. Please refer directly to your Member Board’s MOC Part II Lifelong Learning and Self-Assessment Program Requirements.
1. Learn to screen for and care for substance use disorders in an acute inpatient settings.
2. Understand successful models of hospital-based addiction care
3. Understand medications used to treat opioid use disorder (buprenorphine and suboxone).
4. Develop an approach to collaborating to treat addiction in hospitals and improve systems with a multidisciplinary team (General medical providers, nurses, social workers, and pharmacists can collaborate).
5. Learn to support linkage to treatment after hospitalization.
Interpersonal & Communication Skills, Medical Knowledge, Patient Care & Procedural Skills, Practice-based Learning & Improvement, Systems-based Practice
CME Credit Type
AMA PRA Category 1 Credit
Inpatient, Rural, Urban, VA/Military